Southport Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant Capacity Expansion
Citizens Energy Group
The Southport Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant Capacity Expansion project provided treatment for the Deep Rock Tunnel Collector (DRTC) system with a peak wet weather capacity of 270 million gallons per day (MGD). Construction and design was completed one full year before the scheduled completion date.
Wessler provided design and construction services for expansion of the wastewater treatment plant. Wessler’s role in the project included the design of a new headworks; consisting of a new DRTC screening facility and grit removal facility; and modifications to the existing secondary clarifiers to increase their capacity. Design services included process, civil, electrical and instrumentation and control engineering.
Improvements to the final clarifiers to increase their capacity from 150 to 270 MGD included new:
- Larger influent piping, valves, and meters,
- Energy dissipating baffle walls,
- Flow dispersion baffle walls,
- Rehabilitation of the existing floating sludge and scum removal equipment systems,
- Larger fiberglass effluent tubes,
- Scum tipping weirs, and modifications and additions to the effluent weirs to double their effective lengths.