Citizens Energy Group
The Wessler Engineering team partnered with Citizens Energy Group (CEG) of Westfield to conduct a field survey of sanitary and combined sewer collection system manholes throughout the CEG Westfield sewer system using GPS survey equipment.
The project included:
- upstream and downstream pipe invert
- upstream and downstream diameter and material
- manhole depth
- measured rim above grade.
Manhole inspections typically are performed during wet weather or when the groundwater level is at its peak, with November to May being the best time to detect inflow and infiltration (I/I). With snow and ice melting in February and March compounded with heavy rains, the system might experience a spike in flow at lift stations and wastewater treatment facilities.
There are five important items to include in manhole inspections:
- manhole chimneys
- manholes struck during final grading and never corrected by the utility
- manholes not properly stacked out allowing I/I to enter the system
- leaking pipe penetration obstructions in the sanitary sewer system.